I saw this great project from Martha Stewart on bottle cap magnets. Because of a beer-loving boyfriend, I have access to an abundance of bottle caps, and I love really customizable things like this, because you can really use whatever pictures you want.

Here are the supplies required:

  • Bottle caps
  • Pictures that can fit on bottle caps
  • Clear casting resin (usually used for jewelry or paper weights)
  • Measuring device
  • 2 plastic cups
  • 2 disposable mixing devices (like plastic dinnerware or chopsticks)
  • Small magnets and/or tacks
  • Super glue or other strong glue
  • Craft glue or double-stick tape
  • Wax paper for work area

Here are my supplies for the casting phase:

To get my pictures to fit on bottle caps, I shrunk and cropped them down to a print size of 1”x1” (the exact size of a bottle cap) using a photo editing program, and drew a circle onto it so that it would be more uniform than my free-hand attempt at cutting a circle.

After printing and cutting out each picture (onto photo paper, because I think regular paper might get smeared/discolored by the resin), I stuck them to the bottle caps with double-stick tape. This wasn’t sticky enough for some of the bottle caps, so I would recommend a good glue maybe next time, in which case you’ll have to wait for it to dry before pouring the resin. You can also used small stickers – I had a few stickers that I cut to fit the bottle caps.

Then, I opened up the resin and read and followed the instructions for mixing the resin. I had never used casting resin before, so it was an interesting learning experience. First, I measured the resin exactly (using a measuring cup that will be crafts and non-food things only from now on), poured it into the cup, measured the hardener to the same amount (this is super important), and poured it in. I used 1/8 cup each of resin and hardener for each batch, and that was enough for 10 bottle caps with a little left over.

I mixed for 2 minutes, then poured it all into another cup and mixed for another minute with a different mixing device. (I don’t know why this is required, but that’s what the instructions say.)

Finally, it was time to pour it into the bottle caps.

I made 2 batches, 19 in total. The resin was apparently not quite warm enough in the second batch (it said 75 degrees would be warm enough, but I would probably up it to 80), which caused the tiny bubbles to stay in several, so watch out for that.

(The Doctor looks kind of evil in this picture!) Once the resin was poured, I let them set overnight, and they were all hardened. I then used super glue to glue on my tiny magnets, and I stuck tacks on a few of them.

Ta-da! Despite the bubbles, I still like them and might make more in the future, and make sure the resin is warm enough next time.

Advertisements